Finding your laptop model is necessary to get the right parts for it in case something’s broken. You can find the model, make, and series right on the sticker that’s generally present on the bottom of the chassis. However, if your laptop is old and the sticker is worn out, you should try the following methods:
- Run > msinfo32
- System information
- Windows Powershell
- Command Prompt
- Accessing BIOS
- Computer > properties
Let’s learn them all one by one to know about how to find laptop model.
7 Ways to Find Laptop Model
Keeping in mind all of your needs here we come up with the top 7 ways that you can follow to easily find the laptop model.
1. Run > msinfo32
- Type Run in the search bar of your Windows and open the application.
- When open, type msinfo32 and hit enter. This will open the System Information to get you all the information about your laptop.
- To do that, however, make sure that the System Summary is selected from the left side.
- To the right, you’ll see the OS Name, version, system name, manufacturer, model, type, processor, BIOS version, BIOS mode, total physical memory, and a whole lot of details about the components of your laptop.
- If you want to specifically know about a component, click on the Components from the right window and select whichever component you need to know about. For example, clicking on Display would give you information about the Adapter Type, Adapter Description, Installed Drivers, and whatnot.
2. System Information
- You could either go to System Information the way I mentioned above, or you could simply type it in the search bar.
- The rest is the same. You’ve to go to System Summary to know the laptop model.
- Following this method is convenient as compared to method no. 1.
3. Windows Powershell
- Windows Powershell works the same way as Command Prompt, but obviously, the commands are different.
- Click on the search bar near the Start button and type Powershell.
- You’ll be taken to Administrator: Windows PowerShell.
- Type “Get-CimInstance -ClassName Win32_ComputerSystem” and hit enter.
- To know the model, find Model besides TotalPhysicalMemory.
- Alternatively, if you want to find the model and series, you’ve to type the command, “Get -CimInstance -ClassName Win32_bios”. You’ll get the model and serial number in the information that comes forth.
4. Command Prompt
- Type Command Prompt in the search bar of your PC.
- Open the app and type the command: “wmic csproduct get name”.
- You’ll see the product name and model in the results.
- Type the command “wmic csproduct get name, identifyingnumber” to know the serial number along with the model.
5. Accessing BIOS
- BIOS is where you can access all the input and output systems of your computer without having to go to the main Windows screen.
- If you haven’t had any luck with the methods I mentioned above, you should choose this one.
- Turn off your computer and wait for a few minutes before turning it on again.
- When you turn it on again, press F2 or ESC repeatedly until you’re into the BIOS of your computer.
- Sometimes, you don’t get to it because you didn’t press the keys at the right time. In that case, restart your PC and repeat the process again. Some PCs have their own keys, so if the F2 or ESC isn’t working, Google the BIOS entry key for your computer. Search “BIOS key for Lenovo”, for example.
- In the BIOS menu, go to Main and System Summary. You’ll see the type and model of your laptop along with the Brand ID that tells you the specific name and Serial Number that identifies your very own model.
6. Computer > Properties
- This method also leads to finding your device name, the processor it uses, Device ID, Product ID, Installed RAM, and so on.
- To open it, search for This PC in the search box of your Windows. Right-click on it to open the dialogue box and hit properties.
- You’ll be taken to About in the Settings. There, you’ll see the information that I just talked about.
- CPU-Z is a third-party app that gives you information about the main devices of your PC.
- To download it, go to https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html.
- There are two versions of it: Classic Versions and Custom Versions. Depending on your laptop, choose the version you want to run.
- Download the version and run it.
- On the main interface of the app, select CPU to know about the Processor, Clocks, and Cache. Select any other tab, depending on the information you need.
How do I find my laptop model number?
Right-click on your “my computer” in the start menu panel will bring about your whole system information along with your laptop model number.
How can I find the model number of my HP laptop?
You can find your HP laptop model number by pressing the FN key and the escape key at the same time, which will show all the information about your HP laptop.
How to Find Laptop Model – Conclusion
Finding the laptop model is quite easy. Follow any of the 7 ways I’ve mentioned above to get to the main information system of your laptop and get to know its model and series.