Dad said to me, “I am just fed up with it now, let’s go and buy a laptop with some 1000-nits+ bright screen!”. And I was like, “Dad…?”.
Joke apart, he was perfectly fine with his words. A civil engineer with on-field tasks mostly and usually supervising various projects/fieldworks, etc. would definitely want his laptop’s screen brighter than max.
Let alone him, even I – a person with “night-light” always “On” on my laptop, at times want a floodlit screen mostly whilst out of abode. So, yeah, it’s normal to play with brightness according to your surroundings.
But, what if in case you are in an ambiance – extremely bright, where even your laptop’s peak brightness falls cloudy and dim? What to do then? Can you make your laptop screen brighter than max? If yes, how?
These, and lots of other related things, I have covered all such confusion below in this blog post.
Let’s get into it.
This guide has been divided into two sections i.e.
- How to make laptop screen brighter than max on Windows 10 laptop?
- How to promptly and easily increase/decrease the screen brightness on your Windows 10 or Windows 7 (or any other) laptop?
#1. How to Make Laptop Screen Brighter than Max?
Brightness knobs from everywhere are at the extreme peak but the laptop screen is still not bright enough? It’s time to go for some advanced-level settings now.
To get your screen’s brightness past the visible apex extremes (on a Windows 10 laptop), the system’s Color Calibration Wizard is the only way out for you. Here is how to play with it step-by-step.
- Go to your system’s main settings. Either press the “Windows logo + I” keys both at once or search “Settings” in your “Windows Start Menu”.
- Get into “System” and therein into the “Display” settings.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the “Display settings” page and look for the “Advanced display settings” button.
- Now follow these steps. Click on Advanced display settings > Display adapter properties for Display 1 > Color Management (third-most tab in the new dialogue box).
- Click on “Color Management“. In the newly popping window, click on the rightmost i.e. Advanced tab.
- Down there in the “Advanced” tab, you’ll see “Calibrate Display“.
- Simply click on it, then Next > Next until you start seeing various adjustment sliders on your screen.
- Simply drag the sliders (already in the middle) to the upper extremes to witness a whole new setup.
So, you now have a brighter than ever display, some crispier than ever colors, and eventually a matchless satisfaction to your eyes, I am sure.
- For a desktop monitor with Windows 10, you can go for display calibration this way i.e. Start button > Settings > System > Display > Advanced Display Settings > Adaptor properties > Color management button > and finally “Calibrate”.
Here are a few other points, perhaps some added screen’s-brightness-related settings, you need to know.
- If you are using Windows 10 laptop, you have an advanced feature i.e. “Adaptive brightness”. It means, that if it’s turned on, your laptop’s brightness will automatically adapt to your ambiance. So, while working in bright daylight, the screen will get brighter whereas vice versa for a darker ambiance.
This is only possible if there is an ambient sensor on your laptop. Go to your display settings and seek out “change brightness automatically when light changes”. If it’s there, turn it on and you’re done. If you don’t find anything like this there, it means your laptop has no ambient sensor.
- You can also make your system brightness smartly adjust with the system’s battery (power) health i.e. less intense settings while on battery, whereas comparatively intense while plugged in.
To turn this feature – Automatic Brightness for Power Plan, On or Off, or to change the default settings, here’re the steps.
Go to “Control Panel” > Hardware and sound > Power Options > Change Plan settings. And therein, you can maximize/minimize the plans for both “on battery” and “plugged in” conditions.
So, it was all about how to make laptop screen brighter than max. A very detailed and step-by-step super easy process. Hope it help.
How to Adjust Screen Brightness in case of a Desktop Setup? – A Monitor
To adjust the screen brightness, etc. in a desktop system, you can bring to use those few buttons located along the bottom of your monitor. With different buttons dedicated for different purposes, you get a button for assessing the main menu too.
Hence, first, get to the menu using the menu button and then use the same buttons to navigate further down there. Go to the brightness adjustment settings and boom…. You are all set to set things up!
#2. How to Simply Adjust Screen Brightness?
Ranging from the simplest one-tap – keyboard-shortcut method, there are several other ways to adjust/manage your device’s screen brightness, etc. Let me enlist them.
- Using the keyboard keys shortcut
- Via the Action Center (Notification Panel) on a Windows 10 laptop
- Via the Mobility Center on Windows 10
- Using the 3rd party utilities (apps)
- Via the system’s settings
#1) Via Keyboard
Where on one hand the luminosity, etc. on a monitor can be adjusted via the buttons thereat, the same can be done with a laptop too.
Yes, your keyboard features two “Function keys” dedicated for brightness control. These can be any two between the F1 to F12. Represented by sun-shaped icons, both the keys can be easily denoted.
On my laptop, the F5 and F6 keys serve the function whereby the former has the sun icon with a minus sign and the latter one with plus respectively. Look for yours and then press the “Fn and the respective key” (in my case – F5 for decrease, F6 for increase) both at once to change the brightness.
#2) Via the Action Center (Notification Panel) on Windows 10 OS
If you are on a Windows 10 laptop, look for the message-box-shaped icon on the (bottom) rightmost of your taskbar. Either click on it or press “Windows logo key + A” both at once, the notification panel (action center) will open up to you.
Beneath all the other shortcuts, etc., you will a (brightness) slider there. So, just simply drag the knob right/left to increase/decrease your screen’s brightness.
In case of no slider therein the notification panel, go to Settings > Notifications & Actions > Edit Quick Actions. And therein, simply check the brightness-slider box.
#3) Via Windows 10 Mobility Center
Mobility Center allows quick access to all the mobile (frequently utilized) features of the system. Because brightness is the first one on the list there, you can quite easily adjust it from there too.
Press “Windows logo + X” both at once. From the popped-up Power User Menu, click on the second one i.e. mobility center. You’ll see a new window popping up with quick access to those few mobile features.
With the brightness (slider) in the first place having an adjustment knob definitely, just drag it up/down or right/left (whatever) to make the desired adjustments.
#4) Using Third-Party Utilities
There are tons of third-party apps and utilities available in case your laptop has no option i.e. slider, etc. for brightness adjustment. Some of the most widely utilized ones include the “f.lux“, “Win10 Brightness Slider“, “CareUEyes“, and “Dimmer“, etc.
With more of them being free, you can just easily download them and the slider or controller (whatsoever) will get to your system (taskbar’s) tray. A few will offer you lots of added features as well whereas a few offer brightness control only.
Search for the best one as per your needs and download it.
#5) Via the System’s Settings
In the case of Windows 10, go to your Main Settings > System > Display. You’ll see a slider beneath “Brightness and color”. Do the same hold and drag with it to adjust the brightness of your system.
In case of adjusting brightness on a Windows 7 laptop. Go to the Control Panel > Hardware and Sound Options and then to the Power Options. You’ll find the brightness controller over there.
How to Adjust Screen Brightness on Mac Device?
If you have a MacBook, here is how to adjust the screen luminosity on a Mac laptop.
- Look for the keyboard buttons dedicated to the brightness adjustment. Generally, it’s the F1 and F2 keys in a Mac.
- Adjust the brightness by accessing the settings via System Menu > Apple Menu > System Preferences and therein the Display Settings.
- Or download a third-party utility i.e. “Brightness Slider” here. It’s the heavily renowned Mac-only added utility.
Why is my laptop screen so dark on full brightness?
A wallpaper with brighter contrast as opposed to a dark one will have a significant impact on how bright your screen appears. To combat ambient lighting, you can even toggle off the dark mode to make your screen appear brighter.
How do you adjust the brightness on a laptop?
To adjust the brightness of your laptop, use the designated function keys. Furthermore, you can change it in your display option and set it to whatever you like.
Why has my laptop screen gone dull?
Laptop screens with dull colors can be caused by improper power flow, loose cables, or LCD failure. To precisely identify the issue, you can take your laptop to a repair shop and run a diagnostic test to address the issue.
I have shared all the ways how to make laptop screen brighter than max. Moreover, I have added some updates to this that will help you solve your problem efficiently.
So, that’s it for now. Ranging from the simplest brightness-adjustment (increase/decrease) things to the advanced-level settings to make the laptop screen brighter than the max level, I’ve discussed every kind of brightness-related “how-to” above in the article.