So, you’ve decided to sell your laptop and buy a new one? You can do that easily. However, you shouldn’t do it as it is. So, what to do before selling your laptop? well, there are a few steps to take before selling your laptop:
- Back up all your data
- Erase your data from the laptop
- Make your laptop presentable
The 3-Step Formula to Selling Your Laptop
Here you get the 3 step formula that you can follow to easily sell your laptop. Without further ado, let’s take a closer look.
1. Back-Up All Your Data
You may have already backed up your data. That’s important because you don’t want to erase everything and lose your precious files. So, if you haven’t done it, do it now.
Here’s how to do it:
- Use Google Drive, Microsoft OneDrive, or Dropbox to back up your data.
- You could upload all the files one by one. It will take some time but eventually, you’ll reach there. However, know that there’s a limit on the storage capacity allowed. For example, on Google Drive, you get 15GB for free. After that, you’d have to pay for extra storage.
- If you don’t want to use the cloud, you could use an external drive to store your files. You would need that at the end eventually for large files.
- You could also use the Backup and Restore feature of Windows. Search for Windows Backup in the search bar of your PC. From there on, follow the instructions of adding a drive and backing up your files.
2. Erase Your Data from the Laptop
There are further three ways of doing that.
Reset your Windows
- Search for Recovery in the search bar and click on it in the next pop-up.
- Select Get Started under the Reset this PC.
- In the next dialogue, choose to Remove everything to completely erase your computer.
- You’ll be asked if you want to remove files from the Windows drive or all drives. Select as per your needs.
- Afterward, select Remove files and clean the drive if you’re planning to sell the laptop.
- Next, click Reset to get the process started.
Use a Professional Eraser
The partition software comes with a price tag. So, buy it if you can afford it. They follow the same path as your PC. However, they do remove the data permanently. They also save you from the hassle of learning technical knowledge to pull this task.
Some of them would wipe the partition, while others would wipe the disk.
Remove Your PC from the Microsoft Website
- Visit https://account.microsoft.com/devices.
- Log in to your Live account.
- Select the device you want to remove.
- Click on the Show Details.
- Click on Manage and then Remove PC
- Check the box of I’m ready to remove this PC and click Remove
- In the next video, click on the Remove it from your Store account and click Ok.
- Now, click on the device you want to remove from the Store and click Unlink.
- In the next pop-up, click Unlink. After that, your device will be removed from all Windows apps.
3. Clean Your Laptop and Make It Presentable
You want your laptop to be good-looking so that potential buyers take interest in it.
- Use a damp cloth and some dishwashing liquid to clean the laptop externally.
- Unscrew the chassis from the bottom and open the laptop so that you can clean all the components. Most importantly, you need to focus on the fans or vents. Be careful so that you don’t damage any part. Use the vacuum cleaner to clean the dust.
- Use toothpicks to clean USB ports from the inside. However, take care not to leave any cotton threads inside.
- Before selling, make sure that you check all the components that are working fine. Discharge the battery until it’s empty to see how much it lasts and then recharge it to see how much it takes to be full. This way, you’ll be able to list your product with complete honesty – something that potential buyers look for.
- Make sure to double-check the screen for any potential black dot. Search on Google about it and you’ll find online apps to check it. Here’s one of the links to follow: https://lcdtech.info/en/tests/dead.pixel.htm.
- Check the USB drives one by one to make sure that they all work. Even if one of them does not, it will bring the price down.
- You don’t necessarily have to give away all the accessories that came with it when you had purchased it in the first place. Only charger and your laptop would do.
What to do to your laptop before you sell it?
Before you proceed to sell your laptop, make sure that you have wiped its hard drive clean. Moreover, you also need to log out of your accounts such as Apple ID and Microsoft Account to prevent unauthorized access later.
How do I clear everything off my laptop?
Enter the settings menu of your laptop and head over to the “Update & Security” and then click on recovery where you will be able to reset your laptop by clicking on “Reset this PC”
Should I remove hard drive before selling computer?
To keep your data secured and prevent it from getting leaked, you should remove or pull your hard drive from your computer or laptop before you are selling it to your local repair shop or giving it away to your friend.
What to Do Before Selling Your Laptop – Conclusion
Selling your laptop is a good idea if it has gotten old and you’re ready to buy a new one. However, before doing that, make sure you back up your data, erase all the data from your drives, and then clean the external and internal components to get it into good shape. Afterward, check USB ports, mousepad, and keyboard along with any black spot on the screen just to be sure that you’re being honest in selling someone your laptop. Afterward, use websites like Craiglist to get it done or gift it to your loved ones.